Friday, June 17, 2011

Spinning Again!

Just Jane (my lovely Ashford Traditional spinning wheel) came out of storage where she's been for way too long to take up residence right beside my office chair. She's there so I can turn to her at a moment's notice when the chronic pain gets to be a bit much and call on her to take the edge off.

I was looking for a way to escape the worst of this nightmare known as fibromyalgia, which would have nothing to do with chemicals, when I remembered what a lovely altered state spinning on a wheel would always put me in. Out came Just Jane. I dusted, polished, and oiled. I visited my local supplier of all things fiber related, Country Yarns, to pick up some lovely hand-dyed BFL and headed home to test my theory.

I love it when I'm right! Spinning takes the edge off. Or maybe it's just that I feel productive. Either way, it works and couple hours go by before I call it quits. If you find yourself needing to relax, escape the crazies, or just need a new challenge, give spinning a try. You just may find it's addictive.


As you can see there is some definite over-twist and there was some major problems with the navajo-plying. I've always had a tendency to under-ply. I set about spinning up some undyed corriedale to practice plying with and soon had that pretty much figured out and went back to work on the BFL. Here's a peek at the rest of the total of 174 yards of average worsted-weight (it varies a lot)


The only over-twist I ended up with in the last two skeins is right there where the tag is attached. My regular plying is doing just fine but my navajo-plying still needs a lot of work. It's a stop and start type of process for me at the moment. I'll keep working on it. It's nice to worry about fibery goodness instead of my pain levels for a change.

No comments: